The purpose of this article is to guide publishers who want to use the DT FairBid SDK to load and display ads from Meta Audience Network via DT FairBid Mediation.
Meta Audience Network supports bidding Instances only.
This is a six-step process:
- Create or login to your Meta Audience Network account
- Create an app in Meta Audience Network
- Create a placement for your app
- Retrieve the parameters from the Meta dashboard
- Insert the Meta parameters into the DT Console
- Adding the Meta Audience Network SDK to your integration
Meta currently supports the following ad formats:
- Rewarded Videos
Refer to Meta for updates on supported ad formats.
Step 1: Create or login to your Meta Audience Network Account
Follow these steps for creating a Meta account.
If you are a new user:
- Go to Meta for Developers and register with your Meta account.
- Follow the instructions and set your application name.
- Click Register.
If you are already registered:
- Sign in to your Meta account
- Click My Apps in the top right corner and select your app.
Creating a Business
You can manage your business on Meta including Meta advertising and Audience Network monetization. Meta Manager is a more secure way to manage your Pages and ad accounts. You can see who's working on what and what they have access to see and work on.
- Go to Meta Manager
- Click Create Business
- Enter your details and click Next
- Enter your business details and click Submit.
Meta's Monetization Manager is a platform that will help you grow your business with Audience Network. It helps you manage your placements, understand your performance and maximize your revenue.
- Go to Monetization Manager, here.
- Log in with your credentials.
- Click the business you just created or create a new business, as described above.
- Scroll down and click +Create Property
- Enter the name of the new property
- Click Create Property to continue.
Selecting Your Platform and Display Format
Platforms are the different products you can monetize with Audience Network. Once you have created your property your next step is to add the platform you want to monetize.
- Click +Add on the platform you want to work with
- Complete the details
- Click Submit.
Creating an Ad Space
An Ad Space helps you organize ad placements to reflect what a person is doing when they see an ad in your app. To create an ad placement, you’ll need to create an Ad Space first. You can create up to 4 Ad Spaces per platform.
- On the Monetization Manager left tool bar go to Integration >> Properties >> Select a property
- Click +Create Ad Space
- Enter a name for the Ad Space
- Upload a file and description of when your ad is to be triggered.
- Click Create Ad Space.
Now you have created your Ad Space, you can create ad placements by clicking on the edit icon and Create placement.
- Click the menu bar on the window and select Create Placement
Step 3: Creating a Placement for your Ad
Meta Audience Network offers different types of ad units. Each ad unit in your app is identified using a unique placement ID.
The Create Placement window is displayed:
- Enter a Placement Name
- Select the display format for your ad placement.
- Scroll down and complete the Price Settings details
- Click Create Placement
An ad placement can only be used by one Ad Space and must match the same platform as the Ad Space.
Adding Placements to your App
Once you have click on Create Placement, the details of your placement are displayed:
Click Get Code or Copy ID
Your app cannot receive Audience Network ads until payout information is added and it has been sent for review.
Step 4: Retrieve the parameters from the Meta dashboard
To enable Meta to as an Ad Network with DT, you must obtain three parameters from your Meta account and later insert them into the DT Console.
Set out below are the details of what parameters are required, how and where to obtain them.
|App ID||The unique identifier of your app in Meta Audience Network’s system.|
|System User Access Token||This is the most commonly used type of token. This kind of access token is required any time the app calls an API to read, modify or write a specific person’s Meta data on their behalf.|
|Placement ID||The unique identifier of a specific placement in your app in Meta Audience Network’s system.|
Alternatively, watch and listen to the video below to find out how to obtain the required parameters:
Retrieving the App ID
To retrieve your App ID, follow these steps:
- In the dashboard of your Meta account, in the left hand menu bar, click App Dashboard
- The App Dashboard is displayed and the App ID appears twice:
Retrieving the System User Access Token
To retrieve your System User Access Token, follow Meta’s Guide.
At Step 3. make sure you check read_insights as well as read_audience_network_insights in Available Scopes.
Retrieving the Placement ID
To retrieve your Placement ID:
- Click Audience Network on the left sidebar in the dashboard
You are asked to navigate to Monetization Manager, click the link:
Under your application review you find a list of your placements, click the one you want to retrieve its Placement ID
Now that you have obtained this information, you can complete the configuration of Meta's Parameters in your DT Account.
Step 5: Insert the Meta Parameters into the DT Console
To enter the parameters obtained from Meta and insert them into the DT Console, follow these steps.
- Sign-in to your DT account
- Select your app from the App Management window
- On the App Management page, click Mediated Networks
- Select Meta from the list
- The Meta Mediation window opens. Enter the Meta app credentials and set the Instance name. Instance name should be distinguishable in case you have multiple Meta Instances
- For each ad format, enter the Instance Name and Placement ID
- Click Save
- To complete the set up, you must associate the network instance that you just created to the relevant Placement set up on the DT Console. For a detailed guide click here
You have now successfully integrated Meta into the console.
Step 6: Adding the Meta Audience Network SDK to your Integration
To add the Meta Audience Network SDK go to the Supported Networks page and follow the guide while selecting the Configuration for Meta.
For new apps onboarding to Audience Network, bidding becomes the default way to monetize beginning with iOS apps on March 1, 2021 and Android apps on May 31, 2021.
To enable Meta Bidding, once you've been whitelisted and have set up a Placement ID:
- Rewarded Video and Interstitial placements cannot be mixed. They should be configured as separate placements.
- If Rewarded Video is not available in the publisher’s Meta dashboard, you must obtain Rewarded Video approval for this directly from Meta Audience Network.
For more details about Meta's SDK Bidding, click here.
Targeting Android P
When targeting Android P and using video ads, you must allow your app to use unencrypted HTTP protocol in 'localhost'. More information on why this is necessary here.
This can be done through the Network Security Configuration xml resource:
- Add an XML file named "network_security_config.xml" under the app's "res/xml" folder.
- Allow unencrypted HTTP protocol in 'localhost' by adding the following content:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <network-security-config> <domain-config cleartextTrafficPermitted="true"> <domain includeSubdomains="true">127.0.0.1</domain> </domain-config> </network-security-config>
- Modify the app's Manifest to reference this file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <manifest ... > <application android:networkSecurityConfig="@xml/network_security_config" ... > ... </application> </manifest>
More information on Network Security Configuration can be found here.
Targeting Android P on Unity
The same configuration needs to be added on an app build with Unity3d.
In this case, the network_security_config.xml file should be added under "Assets/Plugins/Android/res/xml"
Targeting Android P on Unity >= 2021
Starting on Unity3d editor version 2021, it is no longer possible to add raw resource files under "Assets/Plugins/Android/res/xml".
In order to achieve the same result, you'll need to create an .aar containing the network_security_config.xml and add it under "Assets/Plugins/Android/".
Instructions on how to create an Android library can be found here.
Alternatively, you can download and use our pre-assembled .aar containing solely the xml file described above.
Add the following frameworks to your project,
Add the libxml2.tbd and libc++.tbd lib to the target by clicking the application target -> Build Phases -> Link Binary With Libraries.
Meta Audience Network iOS 14 Guidelines
Meta provides additional guidelines for the measures required by you to prepare for iOS 14. For further details, click here.